Thursday 16 February 2012

patience

In Uchtdorf's April 2011 talk, he spoke of patience. Patience is a virtue that is learned over time and with practice. Studies show that those who can obtain this trait are largely more successful in the future than those who do not. In October, Uchtdorf again spoke of patience and said often we pray for patience but we want it right now.

I have come to believe that God gives us trials and blessings in a calculated amount of time. There are things we need to learn and grow from along the way. Each experience refines us, so that we might become Christlike.

There are many stories of patience and perseverance in the scriptures and I am grateful that I have them to look to and learn from. As I reflect on and evaluate my own level of patience I am keenly aware that there trials of patience ever present and some that lie ahead. How will I deal with them? I feel strongly that this comes down to obedience and understanding the nature of God. Drawing closer to Him and asking what I can learn from these experiences. I also feel that patience carries with it the reward of gratification and delight when the blessings are finally revealed. Heavenly Father is generous.

“Patience means staying with something until the end. It means delaying immediate gratification for future blessings. The work of patience boils down to this: keep the commandments.”


The work of patience boils down to keeping God's commandments, exercising hope, and never giving up. I am committing myself to more patience and seeing my trials through.

No comments: