Thursday 16 February 2012

The Pursuit of Freedom

I have been thinking quite a bit recently on the topic of freedom. As Americans we often take for granted the freedoms offered us based on our nationality. As members of the church, we may not appreciate the spiritual freedom that comes from living the gospel.

Rarely in life are you faced with actually placing a value on personal freedom. I find myself in that situation now with my agency tied to someone who is prepared to do and say anything to continue to perpetuate a false reality. It would be easy to resent this circumstance...even conclude that it is contrary to God's Plan to be tied to another soul acting in unrighteousness. My orientation instead is to do all I can to obtain my freedom. I have faith this will be done in God's way and in His own time.

Quoting F. Enzio Busche...

"Freedom for most people of the world means “freedom from” the absence of malice or pain or suppression. But the freedom that God means when He deals with us goes one step further. He means “freedom to”—the freedom to act in the dignity of our own choice."

I plead to my Heavenly Father each night to grant me this blessing. The blessing to act in the dignity of our own choice. I know he hears my prayers. It is my duty to be sure I learn the other lessons He would have me learn as I wait on the Lord.

1 comment:

Holly Harris Murray said...

I know He hears your prayers too! I feel very strongly that Heavenly Father is ever-present in all of the details of our lives. I have come to love Him for his creative ways of teaching us our most important lessons. I pray every day that you have your freedom as well, and appreciate that you recognize that the freedom you do have is your agency in how to deal with all that is happening! I admire you so much for that!