Wednesday 1 February 2012

desires

As I read through the talk by Elder Oaks from this past General Conference, I was really struck by one of the questions asked in the talk.

Are we truly ready to have our Maker judge our desires?

This got me thinking, what are the greatest desires in my heart? Are they pure? Are they truly mine? Are they in line with the teachings of the Gospel? Are they achievable?

When asking such questions, I am overwhelmed with the idea that our greatest desires can be accomplished when we put our Heavenly Father and His commandments as the first priority in our lives. I can actually fulfill those desires because they are part of the Plan of Happiness. Furthermore, my Heavenly Father knows what those desires are and the corners of my heart that possess those desires. Our greatest desire should be to ultimately gain life eternal. There are other, but equally important desires that allow us to achieve this ultimate goal. They must be righteous, and they must be stepping stones to fulfilling that ultimate desire. Desires, priorities, and actions build upon each other. I remember learning the story of a wise man building his house upon a rock. The rock in this scenario is our desires. That builds a foundation for all other things to come to pass, and to whether the storms that come our way.

Elder Oaks talks about that foundation in the following quote.
"Let us remember that desires dictate our priorities, priorities shape our choices, and choices determine our actions. In addition, it is our actions and our desires that cause us to become something, whether a true friend, a gifted teacher, or one who has qualified for eternal life."

1 comment:

Hey Blue said...

It is interesting to ponder how our desires link to our actions. I would say in tough times, I can only manage to key in on my actions but as Elder Oaks reminds us, we need to consider the thought process that results in our actions. Giving focus on our desires should serve to draw us closer to the Lord and as a result closer to that goal of eternal life.