Friday 13 January 2012

Constant Spiritual Orientation

I have been pondering over my demeanor at church and my demeanor at work and home. Do you ever feel like we act differently at church than we do elsewhere? Are we more inclined to stop and serve someone who needs a little help? Are we more inclined to lend praise or offer a compliment at church member than we would a co-worker?

One thing I'd like to do is be more spiritually consistent. One can accomplish this goal by raising the standard to the highs that church worship brings out in me or lower my standards to the level that I operate when I might be less spiritually in tune. Clearly the former is the goal but I think it will take a level of consistent spiritual consciousness I may not presently possess.

In order to accomplish this task, I will need to heed the words of Nephi in 1 Ne 11:36

36 And it came to pass that I saw and bear record, that the great and spacious building was the pride of the world; and it fell, and the fall thereof was exceedingly great.

If I can seek the praise and blessings of God over men, my goal may become obtainable.

1 comment:

Holly Harris Murray said...

This reminds me of a conversation I had with my Buddhist friend a couple of years ago. I asked him how he always was so calm, even in situations where he could have been inclined to be angry, sad, etc. He said to me that it was mind over matter and that the source of His happiness was inner peace. I found the mantra, it is here.

"Mind precedes all things; mind is their chief, mind is their maker.
If one speaks or does a deed with a mind that is pure within,
happiness then follows along like a never departing shadow."

I like this Mantra, and I use it in my comments in respect to what you said about living our lives in a certain way across the board. Just like living peace in Buddhism, we can practice compassion and service in our daily moments, no matter where we are. I wish I could put this more eloquently.

A lifestyle of service and peace requires a lifetime of faith and action. As we act upon the daily promptings of the Holy Ghost, I firmly believe our attitudes toward tasks, co workers, friends and family members will be that they are blessings in our lives, not burdens. Spritual consistency takes practice and I believe that is why we are given trials and we brush shoulders with so many different beings. Heavenly Father knows we will fail at this, time and time and again. Yet, He gives us a fair shot and the opportunity to put it into practice.

Thank You for sharing! -H