Tuesday 31 January 2012

I Will Finish My Race

I have come to learn that no matter how much you prepare, life will offer twists and turns that could never have been anticipated. I feel like I had spent 30 years of my life preparing for the most important calling of my life only to have that identity temporarily stripped away on account of the agency of another. This event caused me to stumble, to question my identity, even my self worth and the adversary would have had me give up on the hopes and dreams I felt may no longer be attainable. At these times in our lives we have a choice. We can accept a life of despair or we can choose the hope that is ours through the atonement and the Plan of Salvation.

I love sports and the Olympics in particular. My experience of preparing for marriage and fatherhood only to stumble made me think of a moment tied to my youth I will never forget. Having recently returned from the UK, my mind turns to my hero, Derek Redmond and his father Jim. Derek stumbled at the very moment he was destined to be crowned in greatness. He had a choice to either give up--and no one would have blamed him had he done so, or rather fight--which was choice which he did with his wonderful father be his side. Rather than embrace failure, he inspired a planet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZlXWp6vFdE&feature=related

I can relate to Derek's trial. I feel I am only just now getting off my knees to finish my race and my Heavenly Father is rushing to my side to help me on my way.

My hopes and dreams are very much alive. In fact, there is more light ahead of me than I have ever experienced in the past.

No comments: